TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)
The worldwide standard of qualification for teaching the English language is a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), or a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). TEFL commonly refers to teaching English to non-native speakers in a non-English speaking country, such as teaching English to Spanish students in Spain. TESOL is defined as teaching English to non-native speakers in an English speaking country, such as teaching French waiters living and working in the United Kingdom. Despite this small difference, TEFL and TESOL are generally used interchangeably and either certificate is accepted by the vast majority of employers worldwide.
Many people ask, “Do I even need a TEFL certification to teach abroad?” In the past, it has been possible to turn up in a country with no teaching qualifications or experience and find an English teaching job simply because you are a native speaker. While this may still be true to some extent, the vast majority of employers who are offering a reasonable salary and good working conditions now expect their teachers to possess some form of qualification.
Think of Your Students: To be an effective teacher it is advisable to gain some kind of instruction before entering the classroom. While you may feel you are capable of teaching English without any guidance, the reality is that planning and delivering well structured and effective lessons requires a considerable amount of specific skills and knowledge.
Teachers who are not qualified generally create around three times as much work for themselves doing the wrong thing and at the end of the day, it’s the students who suffer. Many students pay a lot of money for English language lessons (in relative terms) and they deserve a teacher who knows what he or she is doing.
TEFL WITH DOMINO:
At Domino TEFL course will provide you with a sound understanding of the structures of the English language as well as the skills and confidence to deal with issues, such as lesson planning, needs analysis, and discipline in the classroom. Bottom line, you may be able to find a teaching job abroad without a TEFL certification, but it will likely be at a lower wage, in a more difficult work environment, and your students may not get the education they deserve.
Our course focuses on ways of helping and training teachers. The content will be practically oriented. You will examine the major differences between teachings, teacher training, investigate different ways of planning & presenting sessions & enhance your “people skills”. This course is designed to help you understand more about how students learn. The course will bring you in contact with recent thinking & approaches related to teaching. During the course you will become familiar with different learning styles & learn how to recognize them in your own self & your students & adapt your teaching to accommodate them. The course will also help you reflect on creating a successful climate for learning which in turn, will enhance your own enjoyment of teaching.
In this course you will learn:
- Communicating effectively
- Building trust & confidence in your self.
- Improving learner effectiveness
- Using English language which improves learning potential.
- Improving your coaching skills.
- Effective ways of overcoming learning blocks.
- Dealing with “difficult students”.
- Identifying & adapting your teaching for different learning styles.
- Raising student self-esteem
- Class room management
- Lesson planning
- Syllabus & Test paper designing
Is this course right for me?
- Yes, if you want to participate in a course that provides you with a wide range of new approaches to teaching and learning.
- Yes, if you feel that “traditional” approaches need to be improved through creativity & innovation
- Yes, if you have recently become a teacher and wish to develop your skills further.
- Yes, if you want to experience a dynamic & wide range of learning.
- Yes, if “learning how to learn” is an area that fascinates & excites you.
WHERE CAN I TEACH?
The range of teaching jobs abroad available to you with a TEFL certification is surprisingly large. The majority of teachers will find themselves:
- Teaching in a standard classroom format in either a school, university, or language academy
- Private tutoring to small classes or in private homes
- Providing in-house teaching for large corporations, or teaching specific curriculum within a business
Once you have gained experience and maybe a higher qualification, such as a TEFL diploma, you will be able to apply for more prestigious ESL teaching jobs abroad, such as director of studies, teacher trainer, or curriculum designer. It is also quite common for TEFL graduates to further their English teaching careers by undertaking study within the mainstream teaching profession. Regardless of your long term plans, a TEFL certificate can open doors to many different careers and lifestyles.
Teachers who teach non- English subjects or subjects other than English language often find they lose touch with what is appropriate in English or with new developments in the language.
We have designed this course to revitalize your knowledge & use of English & to reinforce your confidence in using the language. Although very much a language improvement course, many of the approaches you experience in this course will benefit your own teaching style
Thus the syllabus also covers.
- Revisiting & building up lexical & grammatical areas, especially which cause difficulty.
- Work on English phonology including sound, stress, rhythm & intonation.
- Studying English through authentic material.
- Building confidence in listening to spoken English, including wide variety of accents.
- Building fluency & confidence in spoken English.
No Reviews found for this course.